Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek: Missy's Closet Fashion Show

Missy's Closet, the consignment shop operated by the YWCA NH in Manchester, will be hosting their first ever consignment fashion show on Thursday, November 9th at the YWCA NH, 72 Concord Street, Manchester.

Emcees for the event are Kyle Heavy from WMUR and Robyn Warren and the event includes the fashion show, reception, cash bar, and silent auction.

Cost: $20/General Ticket, $40/VIP (tickets)

If you've spent any time on social media this past week, you've probably seen the #metoo stories from the thousands of women who have shared their experiences of sexual harassment and assault after the revelations about the dozens of accusations of sexual harassment against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

It was one of the few times when the happenings in Hollywood were truly a reflection of the lives of wives, mothers, sisters, and daughters across the country.

Very few women right here in the good old USA make it through life without being groped, propositioned by a man with power over their lives, or otherwise harassed or assaulted because some man feels it's his right to do so.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

October's Sneak Peek: Looking for Money with the NH Speed Venture Summit

Think speed dating for your business.  According to their event page, the NH Speed Venture Summit brings "together New Hampshire’s early stage growth companies, regional investors, and tech influencers." 

This is an incredible opportunity for networking, pitching ideas, and picking people's brains.  If you are a New Hampshire startup, and you know you will need to find investors, this is the one event you need to attend this year.

The NH Speed Venture Summit will be held Thursday, November 30th from 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM at the Manchester Country Club, 180 South River Road, Bedford.  Registration is required.  The cost to attend is $10.  For more information please visit Live Free & Start's event calendar.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Are You an Engineer, Science or Tech Looking for a Professional Group?

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, otherwise known as IEEE, has an active chapter right here in New Hampshire. 

IEEE's website says they are the "world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity" and based on the number of groups, sub-groups, areas of interest, conferences, publications, and communities, I'd have to say they have everything on the science and tech side covered. 

If you're an engineer, tech, scientist or professional geek who is feeling a little left out of the casual meetup groups, take a minute to check out the IEEE group's website.  Chances are good they have a community for you.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Society of Women Engineers

This week, I want to give a quick shout out to the Southern New Hampshire chapter of the Society of Women Engineers.

Their September event is 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM on Monday, September 25th at The Farm Bar & Grille, 1181 Elm Street, Manchester and speaker Sharon Nichols will be presenting "Leading with Intention."

According to their website, "The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is a nonprofit educational and service organization that empowers women to succeed and advance in the field of engineering and to be recognized for their life-changing contributions as engineers and leaders."  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hamond

Harbor Homes is hosting their 4th annual Gala to benefit their Ending Homelessness fund from 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM on Friday, October 6th at the Sky Meadow Country Club in Nashua.

The evening will include:

• Dinner and Dancing
  • Live music by PK and the Mighty Seven
  • Live performances
  • Raffles…including a diamond necklace
  • Live and silent auctions
  • VIP champagne cocktail hour

And this year's keynote speaker is Captain William Shepard, US Astronaut, Navy Seal, and recipient of the Congressional Space Medal of Honor.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Ssshhh....Alpha Loft is Moving!

I'm not sure why this seems like some kind of state secret, but Alpha Loft Manchester is moving to the 2nd floor of 1087 Elm Street on October 1st.  

It's kind of weird since it's been in the Union Leader and I've personally confirmed it with the peeps at Alpha Loft, but you will find almost no mention of it anywhere on the web.  (Not even on Alpha Loft's website...)

I wish I could say I'm going to miss the wonky conference room floor of their old space at 844 Elm Street, but I'm not.  It was always a toss up between showing up early for a prime end-of-table spot and risking a parking ticket at the time-sensitive meters or spend an entire meeting trying to keep your chair from rolling on the steeply slanted floor so you didn't break a rib when you hit the conference table.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek: Inspiring Women in Business

We are less than a month away from Women Inspiring Women's annual Inspiring Women in Business conference.

This year's Inspiring Women Business event will be held on Monday, October 2nd at the Grappone Conference Center, 70 Constitution Avenue, Concord, NH and will include some very familiar speakers.

• Peter Jude Ricciardi
  • Charlene DeCesare
  • Melissa Albano-Davis
  • Michael Katz
  • Sherry Dutra
  • Leslie Sturgeon

This event provides the platform for New Hampshire business women to connect with local experts, participate in brainstorming, and develop a support network that many women struggle to find in the business world.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek: Free Loeb School Fall Classes

September and back-to-school are only a week away which means it is time to take a look at the Loeb School's Fall Classes.

For anyone who hasn't heard of the Loeb School, the Nackey S. Loeb School of Communications is a non-profit school founded by the late Nackey Loeb to "kindle the enthusiasm of future generations of journalists by providing a solid foundation of skills and values."

The Loeb School offers free classes in three sessions, Winter, Spring, and Fall, as well as one-day workshops providing students the opportunity for hands-on learning with local professionals in a classroom setting.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek - SCORE

This week's sneak peek at the Merrimack Valley Chapter of SCORE has five small business workshops coming up in September.

It's a great opportunity to get some information, meet a few fellow entrepreneurs, and ask questions from people who have started and run their own business.

Most SCORE workshops are $25, Free/Veterans

For information about SCORE's fall lineup, please visit A Sneak Peek at SCORE's Fall Workshops!

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Gearing up for Veterans Week

Last year Chris Pastrana from NH Business Show and I teamed up to honor New Hampshire veterans by featuring seven veteran owned businesses in seven days.  

We had so much fun and met so many incredible people that we decided to do it again.

The week of November 5th - 11th, Chris and I will be posting video interviews and articles about local veteran owned businesses. 

If you are a veteran and would like your business featured let us know.  I can be reached at buzz@queencity.buzz.  Please use "Veterans Week" in the subject line.

Top Business & Networking Picks for 8/13/17 - 8/19/17

1.  Coffee Buzz Networking - Manchester 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM on Monday, August 14th at Aroma Joe's Coffee, 2 S. Beech Street, Manchester
  1. Google I/O Recap: The Road Ahead - Manchester 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM on Monday, August 14th at Alpha Loft, 844 Elm Street, Manchester
  1. Present to One or Many from Greater Londonderry Business and Professional Women's Association 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM Wednesday, August 16th at La Carreta Mexican Restaurant, 44 Nashua Road, Londonderry, NH
Read full post »