Articles

#

By Michael Geneseo

So… the editor you emailed didn’t immediately and excitedly promise a reporter in your office by noon to take photos of your new branch opening/promotion/check presentation/fill-in-the-blank.

Or worse, maybe you got the fade away. It goes like this:

You: Hey, did you get that press release I sent you?

Editor: … Oh, yes. … Yes. We did. Thanks.

You: OK. So…

Editor: Yeah. Yeah. I’m going to see if I can get a reporter on it. If not, maybe I’ll put it in the business briefs next week. Thanks.

*CLICK*

A day, a week, a month goes by and you scan the paper wondering, “where the heck is it?” That’s the fade away. It’s the same reaction high schoolers get when they send flirty texts to a crush.  Editors are the news equivalent of the class crush… and they get a lot of email begging for attention.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Never Miss Another Paranormal Tour!

I'm going to be honest, this tip is a little cheesy, but after talking to a few people who use Google Calendar for their website, I realized it's one of those things that is so obvious a lot of people overlook it.

If you have a favorite website, like Out of the Box Tours or Queen City Buzz, that uses a Google Calendar to post events, and you want to stay on top of new events without having to go to the website every time, all you have to do is click the "Google Calendar" button in the bottom right corner of the calendar.  

Google does a good job of hiding things in plain sight, but if you click on the Google text logo it will open a pop-up window asking if you want to add the calendar.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Who remembers doing show-and-tell in kindergarten?

Everyone hated standing in front of the class, but we all had to do it and if you were really lucky, showing off your cool new toy gave you some serious street cred on the playground.

By the time first grade rolled around your were happy to bury the memories of show-and-tell hell and those memories stayed there until middle school when the teacher introduced a whole new level of torture know as the speech.

Instead of standing in front of a room full of six-year-olds who were generally interested in hearing about your new dog or the latest Pokemon card, you had to look cool and sound confident in front of a group of people whose judgment could seriously affect your social status for the next six years until you could escape to college. That's when the real stress began.

You realized that public speaking wasn't a one-and-done. You were suddenly facing the very real possibility that you would be doing speeches for the rest of your life. High school, college, and even in the working world. Presentations to clients and trade groups loomed in your future and you were horrified to discover that you would never be free from this dreaded task. But you know what? It doesn't have to be that way.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Networking Challenge

Join us for Coffee Buzz Networking, 9:30 AM - 11:00 AM on Tuesday, February 7th at Aroma Joe's Coffee, 2 S. Beech Street, Manchester.

In honor of Valentine's Day, I'm challenging you to a game of Networking Cupid.

The goal is to make a match and give a referral to two people in your network. I'll even make it easy for you.

If you can't think of anyone you can connect then give an atta boy or testimonial.

Your network needs to be nurtured if you want it to grow, so take a few minutes this week and share some networking love. Trust me, a few minutes of effort will lead to stronger connections, better referrals, and more sales.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Love it or hate it, the fact remains the same, The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, typically referred to as Obamacare or ACA, has created a lot of headaches for sole proprietors, and with this year's tax penalty for not having ACA-compliant insurance at 2.5% of your household adjusted gross income[1], those headaches have gone from being a gentle throbbing in your temple to an ice pick in your brain.

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
  • What has to be covered to avoid tax penalties?
Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Love it or hate it, the fact remains the same, The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, typically referred to as Obamacare or ACA, has created a lot of headaches for sole proprietors, and with this year's tax penalty for not having ACA-compliant insurance at 2.5% of your household adjusted gross income[1], those headaches have gone from being a gentle throbbing in your temple to an ice pick in your brain.

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

• Premiums
  • Out of pocket costs
  • What is covered?
Read full post »