Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek for Photographers & Models: NH Group Shoots is hosting a group photo shoot at White Park in Concord 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM on Saturday, August 11th

Their eventbrite page is a little short on details, but I think it's meant to be a way for people interested in photography to get together and enjoy a group outing.

Whatever the purpose, the event is free and it sounds kind of fun. 

In a similar vein, The World's Stage, a theater group "dedicated to guerrilla-style performances",  will be at Greeley Park in Nashua from 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM on Saturday, July 28th for Comic Con of Errors.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Since the STEAM calendar encompasses a wide variety of activities from art to tech to science I thought I'd take a minute to give a sneak peek to two upcoming events from both ends of the STEAM spectrum.

The first event is a workshop from artist Susan E. Hanna called "Presenting Your Art Professionally." The presentation will include a slideshow and discussion on how to present your art at indoor and outdoor art shows.  The event is Sunday, July 22nd from 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM at Jupiter Hall, 89 Hanover Street in Manchester.  The cost is $10 in advance, $15 at the door. 

While you're at Jupiter Hall, be sure to check out Art Social Manchester's pop up gallery.  In addition to works from local artists, there will be live music performances throughout the day by talented local musicians! The pop-up gallery is a free event. 

On the science & tech side of STEAM the SBIR Road Tour will be returning to Manchester on Thursday, August 23rd. 

The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program is a federal program "created to support scientific excellence and technological innovation through the investment of federal research funds in critical American priorities to build a strong national economy ... one business at a time." (click here for details)

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Did you know there are 12,500 dairy cows producing $50,778,000 worth of milk in New Hampshire?  Our family farms may not be big business, but when you think about their combined efforts, it's a lot of hay. (The state grows 77,000 tons of hay worth $9,478,000 too.) In fact, our state's small farms are a local source for a surprising amount of fresh dairy, meat, and produce. 

Which brings us to the question of why the heck I'm talking about farming. 

A lot of the groups on the STEAM calendar are on a summer hiatus, so I thought I'd take a minute to talk about an upcoming agricultural event from the folks at The Lakes Region Food Network (LRFN).

We spend so much time talking about technology it's easy to forget New Hampshire is home to 4,400 farms raising cattle for beef and dairy as well as chickens, hogs, and a huge variety of crops. I have no idea if farming falls under science, tech, engineering, art, and math or regular old business, but I suspect it's science so I'm going to talk about it here. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek: August Art & Science Events

There aren't too many events on this week's STEAM calendar so I thought I'd add a little sneak peek of a few upcoming art and science events.

The League of NH Craftsmen has two large events coming up in August and September. 

The 85th Annual Craftsman's Fair will be held August 4th - 12th at Mount Sunapee Resort, 1398 Route 103 in Newbury.  Event hours are 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM and admission is $15.  

The League is also co-hosting Capital Arts Fest with the Capital Center for the Arts, the City of Concord, and the Concord Chamber of Commerce from Friday, September 28 - Sunday, September 30.  The three-day event will include live local music, food, and art.  Artists will be under tents so weather shouldn't be an issue.  

On the other end of the spectrum, ARMI BioFab USA has two events in August, the Coordinated Continuum of Biological Systems Supporting Human Motion Conference on Thursday, August 9th in Andover, NH and a Workshop on Characterization of Fiber-based Scaffolds, Friday, August 10th in Manchester. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

New Name! The Weekly NH Creative, Science & Tech Events Roundup is now NH STEAM Events

I can't share any details, but the name change is significant. (Hint: It's directly related to a new project I'm working on.) Suffice it to say I am super excited and will be sharing details as soon as they're available. 

In the meantime, check out the Exploring Downtown Peterborough Early Saturday Morning event from the Outdoor Photography Workshop group on meetup.com.  

According to the event page, the group will be meeting on Main Street in downtown Peterborough in the parking lot behind the Mariposa Museum and across from the Peterborough Diner at 7:00 AM on Saturday, June 23rd and will be taking photos of "old buildings, the river, antique shops, and random other things" in downtown Peterborough.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

It looks like summer has hit the events calendar...

No surprise, the first day of summer is next week, Thursday, June 21st, and events on the STEAM calendar have all but disappeared. 

There is no reason to panic, it happens every year. This is a great time for all of us creative, science & tech networkers to reconnect with the people already in our network and test some of those someday/maybe projects hanging around the bottom of the to-do list. 

Alternatively, you could just hang out at the beach. :) Not all summer, but maybe take a couple days for some much-needed downtime.  Who knows, you might even see me at the beach. And no, I won't bring my laptop. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Art Social Manchester - Experience an afternoon filled with art and live music 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM Sunday, June 10th at Jupiter Hall in Manchester! (It's FREE!!!)

Sometimes when I'm out walking, especially in the evening when people have the lights on and the curtains open, I take a peek at the art they have hanging in their living rooms.   I wish I could say I'm enthralled by what I see, but most of the time the walls are bare. 

It's kind of sad.  

I don't know why people are intimidated by the idea of original art.  Maybe they think art is something you have to be wealthy to enjoy.  Maybe they worry they won't understand it.  Maybe they're afraid looking at a piece will compel them to say something nice to the artist.  Whatever it is, they're overthinking it.

Art is a celebration of life. 

Sometimes it's a burst of joy that brightens a cloudy day, other times it's a reminder of people, places, or events.

Art is for everyone.

You don't have to be rich and you don't have to have some sort of insider knowledge about what the artist was thinking when they made it.  

What you do need is a desire to be open to whatever feeling or memory a piece evokes.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Next Step Bionics & Prosthetics founder Matt Albuquerque named the NH High Tech Council 2018 Entrepreneur of the Year!

The NH High Tech Council has announced the winner of the 30th Entrepreneur of the Year Award, Matt Albuquerque, founder of Next Step Bionics & Prosthetics. 

“For me, being an entrepreneur means really finding out what motivates you as an individual, then being able to form that notion into a business that provides stable jobs, gives back to the community that supports them and maintains the sensitive balance between growth and doing the right thing. I am honored to be the Council’s 30th Entrepreneur of the Year, and I look forward to many more years honoring future entrepreneurs.”

In addition to his business leadership, Albuquerque is also active in the community. According to the Next Step Bionics website, he is a former chairperson for Easter Seals’ Veterans Count Advisory Board, a past member of the New Hampshire State Veterans’ Cemetery Board of Directors and The Manchester Boys & Girls Club.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Join local artists on Saturday, June 2nd  for the 11th Annual Concord Arts Market - Opening Day!

The ever-popular weekly Concord Arts Market is back for their 11th season on Saturday, June 2nd.

The market runs 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM every Saturday, except Labor Day weekend, between June 2nd - September 29th in Bicentennial Square in Concord.

Whether you're looking for art for your wall, a fun piece of summer jewelry, or an excuse to wander around Concord's newly renovated downtown, the Concord Arts Market is a great excuse to get out and enjoy the sun. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

New group! -- Songwriters of New Hampshire meeting Saturday, May 19th

According to their meetup.com page, the Songwriters of New Hampshire welcomes "Songwriters at all levels are invited to share their original songs, melodies and lyrics."

They meet the third Saturday of the month from 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM in the Chandler Memorial Wing in the Large Meeting Room of the Nashua Public Library, 2 Court Street Nashua, NH

Read full post »