Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Are you a woman who works in a tech field or for a tech company? Have you heard about the NH High Tech Council's Women in Tech Power Breakfast?

The TechWomen Power Breakfast is a monthly meeting for women in tech in the Granite State.  The group meets from 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM on the 2nd Wednesday of the month, at the Manchester Country Club 180 South River Road in Bedford, NH.

In addition to open networking, this event includes a keynote speaker on topics of interest to women working in tech fields. 

This month's breakfast meeting is on Wednesday, December 13th, and will feature guest speaker Dr. Annabel Beerel, founder, president, and CEO of the New England Women’s Leadership Institute, who will be discussing "mindful leadership – what mindful leadership truly is, how to become a mindful leader and how to empower others to be mindful leaders."

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Memorial High School FIRST Robotics Team 238 Robotic Art Fundraiser

The Memorial High School FIRST Team 238 is holding a Robotic Art Exhibit on Thursday, December 7th, from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM at the Aviation Museum of NH. 

They will be exhibiting and selling "unique robotic and wall art" to raise funds for next year's International FIRST competition in Detroit, Michigan.  

We've reached the point where technology is so integrated into our lives and culture, yet STEM careers are still undervalued. We can't all be bankers.  Lets support programs like FIRST that open the door to possibilities.

For more information about the Robotic Art Exhibit please visit www.aviationmuseumofnh.org/events/

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek: Beatniks, Coffee Houses, and Coders Finding the Magic in a Left-Brain World with the Manchester Poetry Meetup

For some weird reason, poetry groups always make me think of Dobie Gillis.  I don't know why.  I've never seen the tv show.  I don't even know what Dobie looks like, though I'm pretty sure that the guy who played Gilligan on Gilligan's Island played his best friend.  

But I digress. 

I've been featuring a lot of business and left-brain events lately so when I saw the new Manchester Poetry meetup I thought I'd take a minute to give a shout out to a less linear group.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek:  Ever wondered how to sell your products & services to the federal government?  Check out these 3 important tech-biz workshops from the Small Business Association of New England & University of New Hampshire

Since the events calendar is a little light this week, I thought I'd take a minute to share a few upcoming workshops from the Small Business Association of New England (SBANE) and University of New Hampshire (UNH).

On Wednesday, November 29th, The Law offices of Sheehan Phinney will be hosting a workshop called "Protecting Your Business From a Data Breach" from 7:30 AM - 9:30 AM, 1000 Elm Street, 17th Floor, in Manchester.  The discussion will include the legal risk of a data breach, defending against data breaches, and insuring for data breaches. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Feeling the Geek Love - Three Tech Groups Bringing Technology, Information, and Security to You, Your Business, and Your Community

At the time of year when tech groups usually go on hiatus, we've got two groups stepping up with timely content, and a brand new group focussed on the latest buzz in data management and security.

The New Hampshire Chapter of the International Systems and Security Association (ISSA) is hosting a discussion called "Are We Ready? Examining United States Readiness for Cyber-attacks on the Power Grid" 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM on Wednesday, November 15th, in Portsmouth.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Somewhat North of Boston, PHP, Hoopla & NaNoWriMo -- The November Events Calendar is Bringing its A-Game

Don't let the calendar fool you.  It may look like another week of random creative, science and tech events, but you don't have to look too far to see that next week is bringing the A-list of networking, meetings, and workshops.

The 2017 SNOB (Somewhat North of Boston) Film Festival will be featuring 50 independent films from Thursday, November 9th - Sunday, November 12th at the Red River Theatre in Concord. 

For the many aspiring writers, the Pelham Public Library is celebrating NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) by hosting 4 weekly sessions from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM starting Tuesday, November 7th to help you reach your 50,000-word goal.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek: TechOut 2017 -- The Prizes and Competition Are Bigger Than Ever!

Heads up to all my tech peeps -- TechOut is back on Wednesday, November 15, 2017, from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM at Oracle (Dyn), 150 Dow Street, Manchester.

Anyone who has been following the local tech news the last few months knows that the Millworks II Fund has substantially increased prize money with this year's first place winner taking home $200,000 and the second place winner walking away with an impressive $100,000.

The goal of TechOut is to identify "talented, hungry tech entrepreneurs and fund them through investment capital awards," and with this kind of prize money two very lucky startups will be enjoying a huge leg up in their entrepreneurial adventure.

The competition includes live pitches and product demonstrations in front of the event judges and a live audience. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Unit 5 -- How Freaking Cool is This???

Some people wonder how creative, science and tech events ended up on the same calendar, the answer is pretty simple.  In spite of the whole left brain vs. right brain conundrum, there is a lot of cross-over between creativity, science, and technology.   The ability to think outside the box, to see possibilities, and apply logic all come together to pursue ideas and build things bigger than ourselves.  

With that in mind, this week's shoutout is to the Unit 5 comic. 

Created by Skip Winter, Unit 5 follows the lives of five people with personal connections to the World Trade Center bombing who are recruited by the government to fight against global terror.  Unit 5 is the story of regular people who become superheroes.  They don't come from a different planet, didn't get bitten by a radiated spider, they're just five people who react to their circumstance by standing up to make a difference.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Lots of networking, hands-on activities, and left-brain thinking this week...

If painting and welding aren't your things, there are two different patent discussions, a bunch of tech groups, three engineering events, including a hike up Rattlesnake Mountain.  And if that's not enough, the new Nashua Cryptoparty group is hosting their first meeting on Wednesday.

Too tired for hands-on work or high-brow thinking?  Kick back and hang out with the creatives from the New Hampshire Creative Club at their networking event at Stark Brewing Company 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM on Monday, October 16th.

Does your creative, science or tech group have an event you'd like included on the NH Tech & Creative calendar? Drop me a line.  I can be reached at buzz@queencity.buzz.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

October Sneak Peek

Here's a quick look at two events coming up near the end of the month.

The Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce is presenting "Build It and They'll Come: Greater Concord's Creative Economy and It's Economic Impact" at their monthly lunch forum from 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM on Monday, October 23rd at the Holiday Inn, 172 North Main Street, Concord. 

The event will discuss Concord area's creative economy and its impact on local business.  

Cost: $25/Members, $35/Non-Members

For more information please visit the Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce.

Read full post »