Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Limited networking events next week. 

It's to be expected, next week is the week before Christmas and the events calendar is a little light.  

The good news is there are a few events like Strategies & Skills for Successful Negotiations, 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM on Wednesday, and two Toastmasters meetings, Thursday morning and evening for anyone looking to dust off or learn a new skill for the new year. 

If you're like me an still have a little shopping to do, the Craftworkers' Guild is hosting their annual Holiday Fair now through Saturday, December 22nd at the Oliver Kendall House, 5 Meetinghouse Road, Bedford.  Doors are open 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily. It's a great opportunity to check work from local artists and find a unique gift for that hard-to-shop-for relative.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Put some jingle in your mingle with a couple holiday networking events

We are at the point in the year when the short days and early nights can make it a struggle to motivate to an after hours business event.  Why not take advantage of the holiday season to do something a little different? 

Many businesses offer holiday open houses and events designed to thank their customers, spread good cheer, and promote their business.  

The Whole Foods Market in Bedford is hosting Holiday Arts 'n Eats from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM in their store at 21 South River Road.  This free event will showcase tasty treats from local suppliers as well as a selection of work from local Etsy artists.  It's a great opportunity to do some casual networking and shopping before you head home.  

Also next week, Marketplace Home Mortgage is hosting a free Holiday Open House Soiree including drinks, food, and fun for clients, industry partners, and the community.  The event will be held at the Marketplace Home Mortgage office, 116 South River Road in Bedford, on on Thursday, December 13th from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM.  

Marketplace Home Mortgage is an official Toys for Tots donation site, for anyone who would like to bring a donation.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Queen City Buzz is back on the events calendar, and I'm doing it big.

I'm joining 603 Networking and WBC Office Suites for a FREE networking event on Wednesday, December 5th from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM at WBC Office Suites, 1087 Elm Street, Manchester.   

This is a great opportunity to:

• Network with other local business people & techs 
  • Check out the new co-working space
  • Meet the people behind 603 Networking & Queen City Buzz

And if you can't make Wednesday's event in Manchester, 603 Networking will be in the Enterprise Conference Room at Gateway Hills in Nashua on Monday, December 3rd.  

Diversity is the key to a strong network and the best way to accomplish that is by attending joint events like these because they draw from a cross-section of people from different industries. 

If you feel like you're seeing the same people at your regular meetups and networking groups, try one of next week's 603 Networking events.   

Remember to check out this week's webinars at the bottom of the page.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

You don't have to be a STEAM professional to go to STEAM events.  

You know how I'm always saying that networking happens everywhere?  That's not just for business.  STEAM covers a lot of areas including gaming, writing, art, photography, robotics, and all those data nerds. (Yes, that's really a thing.)

Whether you're interested in trying a new hobby or making new business connections, don't be afraid to mingle with the STEAM crowd. Science and tech businesses have the same needs as regular businesses (accountants, sales, marketing, call centers, admins, etc...). And given the region's emphasis on technology, your next client, job, or sales lead may be hidden in the STEAM.

Remember, every time you make a connection you are opening the door to connecting with everyone that person knows. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Join NH Business Directory and small business benefits expert Tim Hirsch from Planstin for a Brown Bag Lunch & Learn: How to Compare Insurance to Find the Best Price & Coverage

Warning! Blatant self-promotion ahead!

I meet a lot of small business owners and people who work for small businesses and the one thing they all have in common is the need to find their own health insurance.  

Obamacare did a great job protecting people with critical health problems, but it put the pinch on the rest of us by effectively reducing coverage with increased costs and deductibles.  

With the open enrollment deadline rapidly approaching I decided to put together a lunch & learn to help people overcome open enrollment overwhelm.

• Review insurance alternatives - not all plans are on the exchange
  • Get answers about the real cost of coverage (premiums vs. out of pocket, deductibles, & co-pays)
  • Learn how to compare coverage to find the best plan for you

This is not a sales event.

I'm a writer.  I don't sell insurance and I'm not an insurance expert, so I invited my good friend Tim Hirsch, from human resource solutions provider Planstin to present an outline of insurance options and answer questions.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Oh yeah, tech is back on the STEAM calendar :)

Heads up fellow techs, I know the STEAM calendar has been a little thin on tech events the last couple months, but this week's post-holiday STEAM calendar is proof that New Hampshire is serious about becoming a regional, dare I say national tech hub.  

Starting with NH Sector Partnerships Initiative (SPI) November Stakeholder Meeting on Monday, next week is all about starting tech businesses and creating the local workforce to support them. 

And if you're looking for something more hands-on, there is a weekly bitcoin meetup at Murphy's Taproom on Sunday and the monthly NH Python Group meeting on Thursday.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Celebrate the First Amendment with the 16th Annual Nackey S. Loeb First Amendment Awards!

Can you imagine having to get permission from the police department every time you wanted to hold a networking event?

How about your business website or blog?  Without the First Amendment, there would be no privately owned blogs, no newspapers, and no dissenting opinions.  There would also be no exchange of ideas or innovation.  

Much of today's web technology was developed through the collaboration of people across the globe.  Following that line of logic, there would be no internet.  

• Free Speech
  • Free Press
  • Free Assembly
  • The ability to choose and practice religion, or choose not to
  • The ability to petition the government

These rights were so important to our nation's founding fathers that they were listed first when they drafted the Bill of Rights.  

The Nackey S. Loeb First Amendment Awards were created to "honor First Amendment freedoms and those in New Hampshire who go above and beyond to uphold them."  

In its sixteenth year, the annual First Amendment Award illustrates the importance of flexing the rights guaranteed to all citizens in the Constitution.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

It's TechWomen Ambassadors Week!

It's no surprise to anyone working in tech that there aren't a lot of women.  In fact, a report from the National Center for Women & Information Technology cites a 2016 Bureau of Labor statistic that women only account for 25% of all tech workers in the United States.  That's abysmal.  

Women make up 47% of the workforce, but only one in every four works in the one field that is guaranteed to continue growing. 

All of the research suggests that girls are interested in studying technology when they reach 11 years old, then it drops off between 13 and 15 years old. 

The data is all over the place when it comes to why, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the main reasons for this are:

• Lack of tech women mentors and role models
  • Girls are actively discouraged in school from pursuing male-dominated fields 
  • There aren't a lot of opportunities to participate in hands-on activities

The NH Tech Alliance and TechWomen are actively working to change that.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

If you can only go to one business event this month, then you might want to look at She Built This - An evening of thought, leadership, and discussion from some of New Hampshire's top female entrepreneurs.  

She Built This will be a panel discussion featuring three local women entrepreneurs "sharing their stories, what daily habits help them to continuously serve and help others every day, and their tricks for maximum productivity.

The event is 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM Tuesday, November 27 at LaBelle Winery, 345 New Hampshire 101 in Amherst. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

A little bit of everything to keep a hopeful networker busy :)

I should probably be embarrassed to admit this, but it took me a few minutes to figure out why there is only one event on Tuesday.  It's not that I didn't know Election Day is Tuesday the 6th, I just didn't realize that next Tuesday is the 6th.

Go figure. 

If you're like me and your calendar is on overwhelm or you just need a break from regular networking events, take a look at the "Sip 'n Read" event with author Paula Moore on Sunday. 

She has an interesting tale about how her life changed after winning $42 million dollars in the lottery.  I haven't had the chance to read it, but I'm pretty sure she has some useful advice for when you find your golden ticket.  In the meantime, keep networking. And maybe buy a couple lottery tickets.

Read full post »