Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

It's December!

It's December and at this point of the year, if it's not in the works, it's probably not going to happen, especially if whatever it is you want to do requires any kind of contribution from other people so my best advice is to plan for the future, but live in the moment.

Do whatever absolutely, positively has to get done, then call some of those people you keep meaning to catch up with and invite them to coffee, lunch or cocktails. I might even invite some people to play pool. I'm really bad at it, so anyone who is feeling the need for a minor victory should definitely take me up on it.

Looking at next week's events calendar, I want to point out two new groups that are going to interest a lot of people, the Spanish Conversation Group in Manchester and the Trailblazing Business Marketing Laboratory in Amherst. I also want to remind you that Coffee Buzz Networking is meeting 9:30 AM on Tuesday at Aroma Joe's Coffee in Manchester. This month's topic is "How to Promote Your Business in 2017" and it should be a pretty good discussion.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Introducing the NH Business Partner Finder Group

We've all been there. You have a great idea, but need some help to get it off the ground. Maybe you have the required skills, but the project is too big for one person. Or, perhaps you don't have all the skills to get the idea from concept to market and need someone who can do the things you can't.

Whatever your situation, starting a new business or business project can be overwhelming when you have to do it on your own, but finding a business partner can be worse than finding a life partner.

Not only do you need to find someone who complements your skills, you both have to share the same vision, work ethic, and work style. And when you narrow your search area to the small state of New Hampshire, that search gets even trickier.

Which is where Queen City Buzz comes in.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Happy Thanksgiving!

I don't know about you, but I'm not ready. A couple weeks ago John Morgan from Island Breeze Virtual Assistants asked me if I could do something to promote local businesses who are offering Black Friday, Small Business Saturday or Cyber Monday deals and I said, "Sure. I just need to get through Veterans Week and I'll come up with something."

The "something" was a grand plan to put free ads on the top half of Queen City Buzz's homepage for the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. It was a good idea because it fit perfectly with my mission statement to "promote and support local small business and freelancers by connecting people, information, and resources." The problem is, I didn't look at the calendar.

I don't know what I was thinking. There are only two weeks between the end of Veterans Week and Black Friday and that's not enough time to organize anything on the fly. Black Friday is now seven days away and I'm just starting to talk to people.

Maybe the lesson here is that it takes more than a great idea to succeed. Success needs planning, organization, and resources, including a strong support team. It also requires a realistic assessment of what can be done in the allotted time. In this case, I was smacked in the face by the calendar.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Stop the Madness!

Is your weight causing health problems like diabetes or hypertension?

Are you tired of being sick and tired?

Whether you need to lose 20 pounds or 100, this month's guest, Stephanie Edwards from Ideal Health, LLC, can help.

Edwards is a nutritionist and a weight loss coach who has helped dozens of people not only lose weight but keep the weight off.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Peace of mind, one flue at a time...

Chimneys are one of the most magical components of your home. They invoke a feeling of warmth and homecoming when you pull into the driveway, they're an integral part of spending a romantic evening in front of a roaring fire, and they are Santa's favorite way to deliver gifts.

Chimneys are also an essential and often neglected part of your home's heating system and are the second leading cause of house fires.[1]

So when was the last time you thought about your chimney?

Was it when you got the home inspector's report two days before closing?

Did you give it a passing thought the last time you went to light a fire in the fireplace?

Did you know you should get your chimney inspected every year?

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

A Conversation with Tech Guru Norm Gentry

"If you haven't planned for it you're not going to do anything but pay the money" It's a bold statement from a soft spoken man and it sends chills down my spine.

What would you do? What can you do if your computer gets hit with ransomware? What about the Windows 10 upgrade? Is it worth it? Does it really cause all the problems we hear people complaining about on the web?

Between security breaches, viruses and Microsoft's heavy handed upgrades the internet is rife with tales of tech woe so when I met Norm Gentry from SBTI Technology Solutions at last month's Coffee Buzz I jumped on the chance to pick his brain.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Another new year is right around the corner and it's time to start thinking about all those resolutions you're going to make. You're going to get serious about getting in shape, eating better, exercising, learning how to juggle, taking control of your checkbook and getting busy with some networking. You know, all those things you meant to do last year and the year before, but forgot about by the time February rolled around.

How about instead of making and breaking promises (that you never really bought into anyway) you double down and take a class instead?

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

"You don't have to wear the same thing, but you should try to coordinate." Local photographer Jeff Hastings from Frame of Mind Photography is on the phone with a client as I approach his table at Aroma Joe's Coffee shop. He is patiently explaining that coordinating outfits for a family photograph simply means that your clothes shouldn't clash. "You should try to avoid having one person wearing stripes and the other wearing plaid."

I try not to laugh as I drop off my laptop and go off in search of a cold drink.

By the time I get back he has finished the first call, responded to a handful of emails and is on the phone with an anxious mother.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Where are all those groups?

The number one complaint I hear from small business owners is that the biggest challenge to networking in New Hampshire is finding a networking group.

Even here in Manchester, the largest city between Boston and the Canadian border, organized networking events are few and far between. Or are they?

I did a little research and discovered that not only are there quite a few recurring events, but there are networking opportunities for almost every personality, schedule and budget.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

A quick look at ten national "Best of" lists that feature Manchester, NH.

Read full post »