Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

I need your help. Last week I announced a new format for the Weekly Roundup. After taking a couple of months off from the blog, I've come to the conclusion that I can no longer commit a day and a half each week tracking down event listings.

Starting this week the new format will be limited to my top picks and any events you share with me through the event submission form.

The new format is also going to include more community events. 

After attending a lot of roundtables, symposiums, and other similar discussion events, it's become abundantly clear that many of the challenges faced by local businesses stem from the fact that a lot of people feel disconnected from the world around them. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

It took a few months longer than I expected, but I think I finally wrapped my head around where Queen City Buzz is going...

Before I say anything else I want to thank you for your patience. I know I haven't done a great job with keeping people informed about what was happening at Queen City Buzz.  There are a lot of valid reasons and a few believable excuses, but as my grandmother used to say, it only takes five minutes to pick up the phone and check in. And I didn't. 

Which brings me to the evolution. 

Queen City Buzz originally started as a platform for my web design clients and other local business people to share their expertise and information about their business.  We had five contributors, weekly and monthly podcasts, events, and links to essential business resources. 

Over the years Queen City Buzz adapted to a changing market. I dropped the podcasts and extended coverage to Concord and Nashua. I included arts and the tech sector, and added tools and features to the point where it became an unpaid full-time job. 

I was knee deep in production and oblivious until someone pointed out that Queen City Buzz had lost its focus.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

You snooze, you lose...

I'm a proactive person. My usual modus operandi is to make a plan, commit, and take action.  Only this time I didn't. 

I really wanted to go to Tuesday's Leadership Under Pressure event at the Currier to hear Rick Kaiser, network and introduce myself to some of the other attendees. If I played my cards right, the people I met would springboard the re-brand of NH Business Guild and introduce me to several of Manchester's A-list business connections. 

It could have been a win-win.  But I lost. 

Instead of hearing Kaiser's talk I'm searching the web for interviews and articles featuring his insights and experience with leadership and I'm scrolling through my address book to find connections who may know someone who can introduce me to someone who knows some of the people I wanted to meet. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Here's one for New Hampshire artists, musicians, actors, and writers: E-Ops, the best-kept secret from the New Hampshire State Council on the Arts

Looking for a grant to pay the bills while you work on the great American novel? The NH State Council on the Arts publishes the monthly E-Ops newsletter with links to grants, fellowships, jobs, and other opportunities for writers, actors, and artists.

Published the first Tuesday of every month, the monthly newsletter provides Granite State artists with a listing of auditions, competitions, fellowships, jobs, grants, internships, and conferences in New Hampshire, New England, and beyond.

Sources represent private companies, non-profits, and government agencies and include a diverse list of opportunities in categories from 

• Auditions
  • Calls for Entries & Competitions
  • Grants & Funding
  • Jobs, Fellowships, Residencies, Internships & Volunteer opportunities
  • Professional Development: Conferences, Webinars, Workshops, etc.
  • Requests for Proposals & More!

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

It's a sunny Wednesday when I sit down with Manchester Ink Link publisher Carol Robidoux at WBC's Elm Street co-working space. We're in the same networking group and I've been after her for a few weeks to do an interview so we sneak out of our bi-weekly networking meeting to make it happen.

I know Robidoux in the way people in a small community are aware of each other.  She shares my content on her website, but we've never had a conversation beyond a quick smile and hello and I am curious. I want to know why a talented, experienced reporter with no business background would don an entrepreneur's hat to start an online news service in an unlikely market.

It turns out her motivation had as much to do with serendipity as inspiration.

After being downsized out of her job as an editor for Patch - Nashua in 2014, Robidoux says she knew firsthand how fast the traditional news media's footprint was shrinking. It was her second industry layoff since coming to New Hampshire as a reporter for the Union Leader in 2001 and given the choice of changing careers or chasing after dwindling jobs in a dying industry, she took a leap of faith and chose door number three.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

¿Habla usted español?

Are you looking for a fun way to meet some people and pick up a new skill?  Think about dropping by one of the Speak Spanish group's weekly meetings. 

Whether you took two years of high school Spanish or are a native speaker, Manchester's Speak Spanish Meetup is a great way to practice your language skills and have some fun while meeting a variety of people in a laid back, unintimidating environment. 

Meetups are every Wednesday from 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM at Panera Bread, 52 March Ave (TJ Maxx Plaza) in Manchester.  

Member's language skills run everywhere from people trying to teach themselves Spanish to people who took a couple years of high school Spanish, all the way up to language teachers and native speakers.  Typical meetings include open networking, games, and conversation in Spanish with enough English to make a new learner comfortable.  

I am a member of the group and I can attest to how much support the group provides for anyone trying to learn Spanish.  

Networking doesn't have to be business cards and cocktails.  Groups like this a great way to meet a broad cross-section of people while building your confidence.  If you can sneak out of the office an hour early once a week or even once a month, the Speak Spanish Meetup is definitely worth your time. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Be a medical superhero! Learn how to improve the quality of life and save lives for people in rural or remote areas with a 3-D printer and a little ingenuity. No medical background required.

Their website says a "Medical Maker is anyone who wants to use their heart, hands, and mind to make healthcare better,"  and they want you to supply your creativity, skills, and ingenuity to collaborate with other people to come up with simple, cost-effective solutions to real-world, and off-world, medical problems using a 3-D printer.

Medical Makers are hosting Manchester's Inaugural Medical Make-A-Thon Saturday, January 6th - Sunday, January 7th at Manchester Makerspace, 36 Old Granite Street, Manchester, NH

This two-day event includes workshops on

• 3-D printing
  • Design Skills 
  • Use of free and open source software
  • Prototyping

The event is open to people and teams of all ages, no design, 3-D printing, or medical skills required.  All proceeds support Medical Makers humanitarian projects.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Limited networking events next week. 

It's to be expected, next week is the week before Christmas and the events calendar is a little light.  

The good news is there are a few events like Strategies & Skills for Successful Negotiations, 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM on Wednesday, and two Toastmasters meetings, Thursday morning and evening for anyone looking to dust off or learn a new skill for the new year. 

If you're like me an still have a little shopping to do, the Craftworkers' Guild is hosting their annual Holiday Fair now through Saturday, December 22nd at the Oliver Kendall House, 5 Meetinghouse Road, Bedford.  Doors are open 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily. It's a great opportunity to check work from local artists and find a unique gift for that hard-to-shop-for relative.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Put some jingle in your mingle with a couple holiday networking events

We are at the point in the year when the short days and early nights can make it a struggle to motivate to an after hours business event.  Why not take advantage of the holiday season to do something a little different? 

Many businesses offer holiday open houses and events designed to thank their customers, spread good cheer, and promote their business.  

The Whole Foods Market in Bedford is hosting Holiday Arts 'n Eats from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM in their store at 21 South River Road.  This free event will showcase tasty treats from local suppliers as well as a selection of work from local Etsy artists.  It's a great opportunity to do some casual networking and shopping before you head home.  

Also next week, Marketplace Home Mortgage is hosting a free Holiday Open House Soiree including drinks, food, and fun for clients, industry partners, and the community.  The event will be held at the Marketplace Home Mortgage office, 116 South River Road in Bedford, on on Thursday, December 13th from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM.  

Marketplace Home Mortgage is an official Toys for Tots donation site, for anyone who would like to bring a donation.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

TechWomen Power Breakfast - "How to Thrive in a Hyper-Connected World" with Cisco chief security officer, Edna Conway

How much thought do you give to the information shared by the apps on your phone?  

Angry Birds, Pinterest, and Facebook all rub elbows with email, Google Maps, and Instagram.

I bet you even do banking from your phone.  It's a convenience, right? 

But what about security?  

Every time you download an app you get a pop-up screen detailing which files and processes the app "needs" access to.  

You might feel confident in your banking app's ability to protect your data, but what about all those other fun little games and tools you download on a whim?  Are they really safe?  And how much access do they really need to your personal data?

Cisco's chief security officer Edna Conway will be presenting "How to Thrive in a Hyper-connected World" at this month's TechWomen Power Breakfast 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM Wednesday, December 12th at the Manchester Country Club in Bedford.  

Read full post »