Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Per the updated application, the deadline for the NH High Tech Council's 2018 TechOut NH Startup Competition has been extended until Friday, September 21st.

With a first place prize of $200,000 and second place prize of $100,000, the annual TechOut NH Startup Competition is a fantastic opportunity for local tech startups to get noticed and compete for some serious prize money. 

There is no cost to apply for the competition, but all submissions must include:

• Completed Application
  • 10 Slide Pitch Deck following the Guy Kawasaki Pitch Deck Guidance 
  • Brief narrative - maximum 250 words, explaining "why winning this competition the company will move forward"
  • Brief narrative - maximum 250 words, outlining "how your company seeks to have a positive impact on New Hampshire"

Please visit the NH High Tech Council website for more information. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

As promised, now that we're into September the business, networking, and events calendar is on overload! 

The Concord Parks & Recreation Department is hosting this month's Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce Business After Hours on 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM on Tuesday, September 11th at their new community center at 14 Canterbury Road in Concord.

This month's Tech Women Power Breakfast is 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM Wednesday, September 12th at the Manchester Country Club. This month's speaker is Sarah Hodges, Director of the Construction Business Line at Autodesk.

NH Employment Security is hosting job fairs in Portsmouth on Monday, September 10th and Manchester on Thursday, September 13th. 

Also this week, the start of Fall 2018 classes start at the Nackey S. Loeb School of Communications.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

"Clear the head trash. Break through your branding. Finally, figure out how to get to the next level & make more money. Share your brilliance."

New Hampshire's own Sales Firestarter, Charlene DeCesare from Charlene Ignites is hosting a Lakeside Business Retreat from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM on Thursday, August 23rd and if you are a small business owner it is well worth your time to attend.

I know Charlene and I like her.  I've been lucky to attend a couple business events where she was the facilitator and can honestly say that in a world of self-proclaimed experts, she's the real deal

This is a super opportunity to get top-level sales and marketing advice from someone who has built and sold million dollar companies.  

If you can free up your schedule next Thursday do it.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Anyone else amazed how many art events are popping up every week?

Sometimes we get so caught up in all the tech and engineering events that it's easy to forget that the "A" in STEAM stands for art. 

Not this week. 

Whether you're looking for a place to buy art, display art, network with other artists or just get some help figuring out how to set a price for your latest masterpiece, there is an event for you. 

And if art's not your thing, be sure to check out the science and tech events.  

TECH REMINDER: The SBIR Tour will be at UNH Manchester from 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM on Thursday, This is a great opportunity for early-stage startups in tech, biotech, and related fields to find funding from US government agencies.  The free tickets have sold out on eventbrite.com, but you can still register via UNH. 

The cost is $25.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Are you as excited as I am? I know I said it a few weeks ago, but the local STEAM scene is buzzing. 

You might even say we're witnessing a renaissance.  

It may not look like there are a lot of events on the calendar, but there has been a consistent influx of new groups, conferences, and events all summer.  Four years ago when I started Queen City Buzz there weren't more than four or five events every week, now we have a separate calendar just for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math.  

It's amazing what happens when people believe in something then work to make it happen. 

Whether you're a trendsetter or trend follower, STEAM has come to the Granite State and it's gaining momentum. If you don't work in at STEAM field, it's time to embrace the changes and start thinking about how your products and services can be tweaked to fit the special needs of those markets. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Since the STEAM calendar encompasses a wide variety of activities from art to tech to science I thought I'd take a minute to give a sneak peek to two upcoming events from both ends of the STEAM spectrum.

The first event is a workshop from artist Susan E. Hanna called "Presenting Your Art Professionally." The presentation will include a slideshow and discussion on how to present your art at indoor and outdoor art shows.  The event is Sunday, July 22nd from 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM at Jupiter Hall, 89 Hanover Street in Manchester.  The cost is $10 in advance, $15 at the door. 

While you're at Jupiter Hall, be sure to check out Art Social Manchester's pop up gallery.  In addition to works from local artists, there will be live music performances throughout the day by talented local musicians! The pop-up gallery is a free event. 

On the science & tech side of STEAM the SBIR Road Tour will be returning to Manchester on Thursday, August 23rd. 

The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program is a federal program "created to support scientific excellence and technological innovation through the investment of federal research funds in critical American priorities to build a strong national economy ... one business at a time." (click here for details)

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

The Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce announces the recipients of the 2018 Business Grants for Teachers!

It's no secret that I think the Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce is the bee's knees when it comes organizations that find the perfect balance between supporting local business and building a better community.

Among the many Chamber programs, Business Grants for Teachers provides a way for the local business community to make a difference to today's students and tomorrow's leaders. 

Congratulations to the teachers who received education grants from the Concord Chamber of Commerce.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Did you know there are 12,500 dairy cows producing $50,778,000 worth of milk in New Hampshire?  Our family farms may not be big business, but when you think about their combined efforts, it's a lot of hay. (The state grows 77,000 tons of hay worth $9,478,000 too.) In fact, our state's small farms are a local source for a surprising amount of fresh dairy, meat, and produce. 

Which brings us to the question of why the heck I'm talking about farming. 

A lot of the groups on the STEAM calendar are on a summer hiatus, so I thought I'd take a minute to talk about an upcoming agricultural event from the folks at The Lakes Region Food Network (LRFN).

We spend so much time talking about technology it's easy to forget New Hampshire is home to 4,400 farms raising cattle for beef and dairy as well as chickens, hogs, and a huge variety of crops. I have no idea if farming falls under science, tech, engineering, art, and math or regular old business, but I suspect it's science so I'm going to talk about it here. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Since four of the eight events on next week's NH Business & Networking Events calendar are from Toastmasters International, I thought it would be nice to give a shoutout to our local New Hampshire chapters.

For anyone who isn't familiar with Toastmasters International, they are an organization of speaking clubs founded by Ralph C. Smedley in 1924 to help people improve their speech and become better leaders.

It doesn't matter if you are a construction foreman, salesperson, or business owner, at some point or another most of us are going to have to communicate with a team.  This is where Toastmasters shines. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

An impressive week of business & networking events! 

The STEAM calendar may be slowing down for summer, but the regular business & networking calendar seems to be heating up.  In addition to the regular weekly and monthly events, the push continues to bring millennials into the fold with StayWorkPlay's survey reveal road tour and the 4th Annual Next Generation Networking event.

Women Connecting With Women (WCWW) is back on the calendar this month as well. They are meeting 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM on Wednesday, June 20th at Tax Services of Londonderry 1 Commons Drive, Unit 18, Londonderry, NH. Please see the WCWW event page on Facebook for more information about this group.

Read full post »