Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Savor the end of summer...once we get to September the STEAM events calendar is going to explode

Okay, explode may be an exaggeration, but after the first week of September, things should start to normalize as groups come back from their summer breaks. 

In the meantime, now is a good time to try some networking outside of your comfort zone.  

Think about the people or industries you're trying to reach and shift your focus 150

If you need to connect with small business owners or decision makers, think about going to an event for accountants.  (NH Society of Certified Public Accountants has tons of events.

Association events tend to be skewed to industry topics, but not always.  Check a group's calendar to see if they are doing an open networking event or mixer, introduce yourself and listen to what people are saying,  Remember, you're there to make connections, not sales. 

Another option is to be bold and invite a competitor for coffee. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

We're at that point in the summer when people get serious about taking a vacation and the events calendar starts winding down. 

Don't worry though, whether you're stuck in the office or looking to mingle, we've got a nice lineup of business and networking events to kick off the last full month of summer.

• Golf & Mini-Golf 
  • Daytime & Evening Networking & Mixers
  • Informational Events
  • and 4 Webinars for those of us who can't seem to step away from our desks 

-------------

Reminder: Check out the webinars at the bottom of the page. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Manchester Trolley Night -- Get out & see what the Queen City has to offer!

When was the last time you walked around downtown Manchester?

I don't mean the trek from the parking garage to a meeting or a ball game. I'm talking about intentionally parking the car and wandering the streets.  stopping by the galleries and shops, having drinks and dinner and enjoying the city. 

For me, it's been since I left City Hall. 

In real time that's about 14 years.  (Yikes!) 

Don't get me wrong.  I live and work in Manchester and I go downtown all the time for meetings, trips to the library and City Hall, but I never hang around because there's nothing there.

Things have apparently changed.  A lot.

When I went to the Manchester Ink Link party a few weeks ago I realized that the Elm Street I remembered had morphed into something new and exciting.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

ManchesterInkLink.com is Celebrating Their 4th Anniversary! 

Join Manchester's favorite reporter (now publisher!) Carol Robidoux from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM on Thursday, June 28th as she celebrates the 4th anniversary of her hyperlocal news website ManchesterInkLink.com

As more and more newspapers close their doors, it's refreshing to see that a top-quality online local news outlet can gain a foothold and thrive, even in a state as small as New Hampshire.

Kudos to Robidoux and her team for believing in the possibility and staying strong in spite of the naysayers. They provide a valuable service to the people of southern New Hampshire and we appreciate all their hard work. 

If you'd like to join Thursday's festivities, the party will be held from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM at WBC Office Suites - 1087 Elm Street - #2nd Floor in Manchester. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Could apprenticeship be the solution to the rising cost of education & shrinking workforce?

Between an aging population and an exodus of young people, New Hampshire's unemployment rate continues to hover around 2.4% and employers are struggling to fill jobs.

And when you add in the cost of college in New Hampshire, you have to wonder if it's time to re-think the idea of a traditional 4-year degree.

A paid apprenticeship that combines education and on-the-job training gives young people an alternative to a lifetime of debt and employers the skilled workers they need to fill jobs today and tomorrow. 

This is a win-win for everyone. The student has the opportunity to explore their options, learn a trade, and earn money while going to school and the employer builds a relationship with the future leaders and managers of their company.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Updates & 3 Free Webinars for Your Business!

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone was interested in seeing a regular post with webinars presented by local businesses. 

Not surprising, a lot of people said yes. 

The thing that did make me scratch my head was that every person who responded was looking for a webinar. 

You read that right. I did not hear from one business owner.

Since this is a resource people are looking for I'm going to leave it on the table.  Now that the NH Business Directory is expanding services I don't have the time to chase down leads, but if I come across a webinar or if someone wants to send me information about a webinar they are hosting I will gladly share it.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Hippo Press Best of 2018 - Reader's picks for the best businesses in southern New Hampshire

Good news for all you business geeks and groupies, the Hippo Press readers have spoken and the results for the Best of 2018 are in. 

The list of this year's winners is far too long for the two inches of space I have here, but I will give a shout out to my buddies at Pro Image Automotive for being named the Best of the Best in the Auto Repair category. 

Way to go Mike, Christine, Scott, and all the guys in the back!!!

Awards like this are a big deal for local business owners because it shows that not only did they do a good job, but they made a connection with their customers.  And as we all know, once you have that connection you will have a repeat customer who is happy to recommend you and your business to their friends and family.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

What are your thoughts about me doing a monthly post of upcoming live webinars from local businesses? 

My normal practice is to limit the Roundups to in-person events and give a shout out if someone asks me to share a webinar, but with the weekly nor'easter messing with the events calendars the last couple months, it seems like a good time to revisit the idea of maintaining a webinar calendar. 

To my knowledge, there is no central repository of webinars from local businesses.  This means that I would have to rely on people to tell me if they were going to host a webinar and they would have to do it up to a month in advance. 

So what do you think?

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Dust off those communication skills with FREE Spring Classes at the Nackey S. Loeb School of Communications

It's March and that means it's time to talk about the latest classes from the Nackey S. Loeb School of Communications. 

As many of you know, the Loeb School offers a variety of classes three times a year at their school, 749 East Industrial Park Drive in Manchester. 

Taught by local industry experts, the courses cover topics related to modern journalism, digital media, and business communications.

The Spring 2018 six-week classes run every Wednesday from March 14 through April 18.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Holy Networking Batman, 603 Networking has 4 FREE events in three weeks!

Are you new to the local networking scene?

Do you struggle with the idea of walking into a room full of strangers and introducing yourself?

603 Networking is a FREE statewide networking group that hosts regular monthly events designed to connect local business people. 

With its roots as a virtual networking group on LinkedIn, 603 Networking provides the perfect blend of real world and digital networking.

Live events offer a casual, laid-back environment to meet other business people who live and work in the Granite State without the stress of wading through a hundred people pushing business cards and reciting canned pitches.

Read full post »