Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

It's TechWomen Ambassadors Week!

It's no surprise to anyone working in tech that there aren't a lot of women.  In fact, a report from the National Center for Women & Information Technology cites a 2016 Bureau of Labor statistic that women only account for 25% of all tech workers in the United States.  That's abysmal.  

Women make up 47% of the workforce, but only one in every four works in the one field that is guaranteed to continue growing. 

All of the research suggests that girls are interested in studying technology when they reach 11 years old, then it drops off between 13 and 15 years old. 

The data is all over the place when it comes to why, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the main reasons for this are:

• Lack of tech women mentors and role models
  • Girls are actively discouraged in school from pursuing male-dominated fields 
  • There aren't a lot of opportunities to participate in hands-on activities

The NH Tech Alliance and TechWomen are actively working to change that.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

The temps may be getting colder but the networking calendar is heating up...

Tired of the usual weekly and monthly meetups? Next week's business and networking calendar has a lot of new events designed to help you network, reconnect, and pick up some timely business skills.

I know it's a busy time of year for small business owners, but weeks like this don't happen that often.

If you're behind on this year's networking goal or you're simply trying to expand your network, this is the week to think about adding an extra event to your schedule. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Get your geek on with Granite State Code Camp!

Granite State Code Camp is hosting a FREE one-day code camp on Saturday, November 3rd at Manchester Community College, 1066 Front Street in Manchester.

This day-long event features over 30 sessions presented by local experts on topics such as:

• Developing for Augmented Reality with JavaScript
  • Chatbots and the Microsoft Framework
  • Introduction to C# - You Had Me at "Hello World" 
  • Deploying Your Application in AWS
  • APIs Are Eating the World

It is a great opportunity for local developers and software engineers to share information and network with other New Hampshire techs. 

This kind of tech event usually costs around $2,500 in Boston, San Francisco, or Chicago, and we're getting it for free, right here in Manchester.  For more information, including speaker schedule and registration, please visit the Granite State Code Camp event page.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Take a break from the business side of things.  Kick back, enjoy some local beer, wine, and mead while supporting the Millyard Museum.  You can even do a little networking.

The Manchester Historic Association will be hosting an open house with a beer & wine tasting and silent auction on Thursday, October 25th from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM at the Millyard Museum at 200 Bedford Street in Manchester.

The evening will include live music from Alli Beaudry, hor d'oeuvres, and hundreds of silent auction items.

The open house is free, but there is an admission for the beer tasting. 

The cost for the tasting is $10 for members and $15 for non-members and will feature local brewers including:

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

This is embarrassing. Manchester is supposed to be the new tech hub, but we can't even field a week's worth of STEAM events.

I was challenged to bring the focus of Queen City Buzz back to the Queen City, now it's your turn.  

I've pared down the events calendars to Manchester, Bedford, Hooksett, and Goffstown and it's a little thin.  

So thin that you'd never realize Manchester has one of the fastest growing tech economies in the United States.

If you manage a science, tech, engineering or artists group, I want to hear from you.

If you own or manage a science, tech, engineering, or art business, I want to hear from you. 

Meetups, workshops, webinars, open houses, new products or services.  This is your opportunity to promote your STEAM group, event, or business to a dedicated local audience.  As always, I can be reached at buzz@queencity.buzz.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Do you have a unique story about why you choose to live and work in Manchester? The Greater Manchester of Chamber of Commerce wants to hear from you.

It's no secret the Granite State is facing a significant labor shortage and the Queen City is not immune. 

The results of last year's Stay Work Play NH survey of why millennials leave the state shocked a lot of people.  But New Hampshire employers paid attention and the business community is trying to respond. 

If you are a young professional who currently lives and works in Manchester or is planning to move here, the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce & the Manchester Young Professionals Network want to hear your story. 

• Did you grow up in New Hampshire?
  • Did you go to college here?
  • Did a job bring you here?

They want to know what brought you to Manchester and why you're happy to stay.

To share your story, please visit the Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

It may be the last week of August, but there's no time for snoozing.  

With networking, golf outings, webinars, and summits, this week's calendar is crammed with events for almost every interest and schedule.  If it wasn't for the fact that there is nothing on the schedule for Friday or Saturday, you'd never know that we're hurtling towards Labor Day Weekend. 

Webinars

This week's hot find comes from the New Hampshire Society of Certified Public Accountants.  Not only do they host regular live training and networking events, but they maintain an incredible calendar of paid webinars on a large variety of accounting and tax-related topics.  - 38 pages of webinars at the time of this post. 

And you don't have to be a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) to attend. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

3 Schools are holding open houses this week -- It's a great time to think about going back to school!

Remember way back in January when you promised yourself you were going to get serious about taking some classes this year?  

Well, it's August and it's time to get serious about following through on that promise.

The good news is if you haven't quite followed through on that promise yet it's not too late. 

There are still four months left on the calendar and with three local schools holding open houses this week, it's the perfect time to find the right course and program.

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

9:00 AM - 6:00 PM       Fall Term Open House - Granite State College All Locations, Open houses will take place at our main locations: Manchester, Concord, Conway, Portsmouth, and Rochester - Click here for campus locations

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

4:00 PM - 6:30 PM       Manchester Community College Open House, Manchester Community College 1066 Front Street, Manchester, NH

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

New Name! The Weekly NH Creative, Science & Tech Events Roundup is now NH STEAM Events

I can't share any details, but the name change is significant. (Hint: It's directly related to a new project I'm working on.) Suffice it to say I am super excited and will be sharing details as soon as they're available. 

In the meantime, check out the Exploring Downtown Peterborough Early Saturday Morning event from the Outdoor Photography Workshop group on meetup.com.  

According to the event page, the group will be meeting on Main Street in downtown Peterborough in the parking lot behind the Mariposa Museum and across from the Peterborough Diner at 7:00 AM on Saturday, June 23rd and will be taking photos of "old buildings, the river, antique shops, and random other things" in downtown Peterborough.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Celebrate 603 Day with StayWorkPlay, Sunday, June 3rd from 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM at the I-93 Southbound Hooksett Welcome and Information Center!

We may be a one area code state, but our economy is thriving and we have one of the best lifestyles in the country. 

The event will feature live entertainment, food and drinks, and volunteers will greet Welcome Center visitors with goodie bags and prizes.

Share your Granite Pride in person or on your favorite social media platform.  Share what's great about living and working in a one area code state

Live, work and celebrate #603Day! 

For more information,  please visit stayworkplay.org

Read full post »