Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Join local artists on Saturday, June 2nd  for the 11th Annual Concord Arts Market - Opening Day!

The ever-popular weekly Concord Arts Market is back for their 11th season on Saturday, June 2nd.

The market runs 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM every Saturday, except Labor Day weekend, between June 2nd - September 29th in Bicentennial Square in Concord.

Whether you're looking for art for your wall, a fun piece of summer jewelry, or an excuse to wander around Concord's newly renovated downtown, the Concord Arts Market is a great excuse to get out and enjoy the sun. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

TEDxAmoskeagMillyard 2018 - Get Your Tickets NOW!

Who hasn't watched a TED Talk online and thought how cool it would be to be there for the live presentation? 

Thanks to locally organized TEDx events, you can attend live TED Talks right here in the Granite State. 

TEDxAmoskeagMillyard is hosting their 2018 event on Saturday, June 2nd from 9:00 am - 3:30 PM in the Stockbridge Theater at Pinkerton Academy in Derry, NH. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

The NH High Tech Council is looking for applicants for the 2018 Entrepreneur of the Year program -- Deadline Friday, May 4, 2018

Now in its 30th year, the prestigious NH High Tech Council (NHHTC) Entrepreneur of the Year Award "honors people who have made significant contributions to the advancement of technology-based businesses in New Hampshire."   

NHHTC is seeking "any founder or senior-level manager of a New Hampshire business who has successfully organized, developed, or managed a technology concept into a commercial product or service"

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Wow! 7 Days of Creative, Science & Tech Events. I don't know what's going on, but it doesn't get any better than this.

Next week's events calendar has art shows & fundraisers, a mental health job fair, a TEDx event, and way more tech than I can handle.  (That VPN/Cisco talk on Monday evening looks very interesting.)

And having said all that, I want to take a minute to talk about art. 

There's no tactful way to say it. The arts are to business what canaries are to coal miners. And right now, the New Hampshire art scene is booming. 

There are art shows, theater groups, classes and hands-on training events popping up all over the place. They're bringing the promise of new ideas and the belief that the economy really is better.

You don't have to be a creative to appreciate how this trend reflects on our communities.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

I just found 2 creative events for storytellers on Saturday, April 7th

Please forgive the late notice, I just found out about these events this morning.

The Derry Public Library is presenting Derry Author Fest 2018 from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM Saturday, April 7th at the Derry Public Library, 64 E. Broadway, Derry, NH.  

This is a fantastic opportunity for writers and anyone interested in becoming a published writer to network, and get tips and advice from local authors about dealing with critics and rejection, getting published, and marketing your book.

They've put together an amazing lineup and it should be a very useful and informative event. 

Did I mention that it's free?  

For more information, please visit the Derry Author Fest website. (Be sure to click the video, they did a really nice job with it.)

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

City Arts Nashua and Nashua Arts Commission raise ~ $12,000 for Performing Arts Center Endowment Fund  at 5th Annual Meri Goyette Arts Award Luncheon

I'm going to say this as plainly as I can, businesses may bring jobs, but the arts build communities. 

Last week, City Arts Nashua held the grown-up version of a bake sale. They held an awards luncheon to raise money for the new Nashua Performing Arts Center and raised a staggering $12,000. 

As a state, New Hampshire struggles to attract and retain young workers because even though we have a low unemployment rate and enjoy a fabulous quality of life, we lack many of the amenities found in large cities. 

And when I say amenities I mean the arts. 

It doesn't matter whether you're talking about theatre, fine art, dance, music, or poetry, the arts bring balance and beauty to a hectic world. They bring people together to share the experience and build something greater than themselves and people want these experiences after a hectic day.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Here are a couple upcoming events for artists.

My Art Show USA has opened registration for their July 7th art exhibition at the Budweiser Brewery in Merrimack, NH. 

This is the second year they've held the event and they do suggest you send in your registration as soon as possible as space is very limited.

Display space will be either 8' X 8' or 10' X 10' and the cost to display is $40.

For more information please visit their Facebook page or fill out their online registration.

I also want to give a heads up about the Friends of Art Manchester's April event. 

According to their website, the Friends of Art is "a non-profit organization working with community youth, institutions, educators, artists and patrons of the arts that support the creation, installation, preservation, and protection of public art in Manchester, New Hampshire." 

Membership is $5 per year, and their next meeting will be 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM on Tuesday, April 24th at Jupiter Hall, 89 Hall Street in Manchester. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Heads Up - Oracle Dyn in Manchester is HIRING!

Oracle Dyn will be hosting a recruiting and networking event on Thursday, March 22nd from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM at their Manchester office, 150 Dow Street. 

This is a big deal. This time last year there were a lot of concerned whispers about whether Dyn would remain a driving force in the local tech economy after their acquisition by Oracle and it's nice to see that not only are they staying, they're hiring. And it's not just techs.

A quick look at the current openings for the Manchester office shows 28 job postings for software engineers, hr people, sales, and support. (Yes, it does look like they added a couple jobs since Monday's "5 Opportunities to Find Your Perfect Job Now!" post)

The Eventbrite listing suggests that you take a look at their current openings and if you see a position you're interested in, go ahead and apply online then bring a copy of your resume to the event.

Don't forget, this is also a fabulous industry networking opportunity. 

Whether you are a tech person or someone looking to bring non-tech skills to a tech company, this is a great opportunity to get a lead on a new job and meet some industry people. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Snow, snow, and more snow... We may be approaching the middle of March, but Mother Nature is still wreaking havoc on the calendar...

Thanks to the latest storm, a lot of this week's events were canceled or rescheduled and since it was still snowing while I was writing this week's posts there's a good chance that some event organizers will be doing more changes.  As always, please be sure to follow links and double check the event information with organizer.  

I know I've mentioned this several times in recent months, but if you're planning on going to an event that requests an RSVP, please do so.  Most organizers will send an email to let people know if they decide to cancel or reschedule an event.  If you didn't RSVP or did not get a notice from an event organizer, check their website, Facebook or meetup.com page before heading out. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

How's this for a sneak peek?

All I can say is wow, wow, and wow! This is what happens when you combine art and business in the Granite State and it's just one of many local products on display at this year's Made in NH Expo. 

I received a press release from Elaine Farmer of White Birch Fine Art Studio featuring four coloring books she will be selling at next month's Made in NH Expo and was blown away by the products she put together. 

Setting aside how beautiful the images are, these coloring books are a fantastic example of finding alternate uses for existing products, how to create multiple revenue streams from one product, and maximizing your efforts for the greatest effect. 

Read full post »