Articles

#

By Pat Hammond

Kickstart your summer networking with Get Together Golf at the Atkinson Resort & Country Club!

It's no secret that I'd rather get a root canal than go golfing, but that's just me. 

The fact is golf is probably the number one networking activity for the movers and shakers of the business world. 

If your schedule doesn't have wiggle room for a regular league or a daylong tournament, how about a couple evenings? 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Sneak Peek: Why Does Your Customer Hire Your Product? Design Thinking Using Jobs-to-be-Done

Business 101 says you need to know your customer 

• Who they are
  • What they want
  • What they need

This should be a slam dunk, right?  Knowing your customer should make it easy to build products they will buy. 

So why do we struggle?

Why is there such a disconnect between the designer who wants to innovate and the client who just wants to push a button? 

Maybe someone should be asking why they need it...

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Updates & 3 Free Webinars for Your Business!

A few weeks ago I asked if anyone was interested in seeing a regular post with webinars presented by local businesses. 

Not surprising, a lot of people said yes. 

The thing that did make me scratch my head was that every person who responded was looking for a webinar. 

You read that right. I did not hear from one business owner.

Since this is a resource people are looking for I'm going to leave it on the table.  Now that the NH Business Directory is expanding services I don't have the time to chase down leads, but if I come across a webinar or if someone wants to send me information about a webinar they are hosting I will gladly share it.  

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Visit the Made in NH Expo - Friday, Saturday & Sunday @The Downtown Hotel (Formerly the Radisson) 700 Elm Street, Manchester!

It's April in the Granite State and you know what that means, it's time for the annual Made in NH Expo. (cue the cheers)

With the last count at 122 exhibitors, the Made in NH Expo is the state's premier event for connecting people to local businesses and it is happening today.

This event draws a huge cross-section of exhibitors and visitors representing just about every product and service in the Granite State from homemade hot sauce to local restaurants, pet products, clothing, and local craftsmen. It's a great way to get a look at what other people are doing and support local businesses.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Here's one for all the HR professionals - Cookson Strategic Communications is presenting the Connecting Workforce Resources Spring Tour to bring human resource programs to you.

The Cookson team has put together an event for you to learn about the many employment-related programs available to your business.

• Sector Partnerships Initiative (SPI)
  • ApprenticeshipNH
  • Office of Workforce Opportunity
  • WorkReadyNH
  • Individual College Business Training Centers
  • Department of Employment Security

It's not an exaggeration to say that between our aging workforce and the very low unemployment rate, finding and keeping workers with the skills companies need is the primary challenge to both employers and the future of New Hampshire's economy.

This free event is a great opportunity for any hiring manager who struggles with these issues to connect with available resources and learn how they can help you grow your business.

Join them from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM on Thursday, March 29th at Manchester Community College, 1066 Front Street in Manchester. 

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

What are your thoughts about me doing a monthly post of upcoming live webinars from local businesses? 

My normal practice is to limit the Roundups to in-person events and give a shout out if someone asks me to share a webinar, but with the weekly nor'easter messing with the events calendars the last couple months, it seems like a good time to revisit the idea of maintaining a webinar calendar. 

To my knowledge, there is no central repository of webinars from local businesses.  This means that I would have to rely on people to tell me if they were going to host a webinar and they would have to do it up to a month in advance. 

So what do you think?

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Dust off those communication skills with FREE Spring Classes at the Nackey S. Loeb School of Communications

It's March and that means it's time to talk about the latest classes from the Nackey S. Loeb School of Communications. 

As many of you know, the Loeb School offers a variety of classes three times a year at their school, 749 East Industrial Park Drive in Manchester. 

Taught by local industry experts, the courses cover topics related to modern journalism, digital media, and business communications.

The Spring 2018 six-week classes run every Wednesday from March 14 through April 18.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Holy Networking Batman, 603 Networking has 4 FREE events in three weeks!

Are you new to the local networking scene?

Do you struggle with the idea of walking into a room full of strangers and introducing yourself?

603 Networking is a FREE statewide networking group that hosts regular monthly events designed to connect local business people. 

With its roots as a virtual networking group on LinkedIn, 603 Networking provides the perfect blend of real world and digital networking.

Live events offer a casual, laid-back environment to meet other business people who live and work in the Granite State without the stress of wading through a hundred people pushing business cards and reciting canned pitches.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

2018 Spring Workshops From SCORE: Get the Information & Tools You Need to Start & Grow Your Business Today!

Now that we've made it past the worst of winter it's time to start putting some of those business plans into action.

Whether you're dreaming about starting a business, looking for help with funding or have questions about marketing the Merrimack Valley chapter of SCORE has a workshop to help you make 2018 the most successful year ever.

Read full post »
#

By Pat Hammond

Pro Image Automotive Coat Drive Extended to December 31st!

There's not much on the calendar next week so I thought I'd give a shoutout to Pro Image Automotive's 2nd Annual Coat Drive.

One of the things I love about my mechanic is that they actively support the community. 

Every year they choose a charity and take donations.  This year they are doing their second coat and winter clothing drive for the New Horizons shelter.

Read full post »